HandBrake is a open source, cross-platform multithreaded video transcoder software. You can use it to convert various videos from one format to another. Although it can process most popular multimedia files it won’t work with protected DVD or BluRay disks.
As a multi-platform tool, HandBrake runs on several OS such as Microsoft® Windows®, Mac® OS X® and Linux. Here is a list with the most important features:
- has built-in device presets (choose an optimised profile for your device)
- support for most common multimedia files (MP4, MKV, AVI, OGM)
- it can copy unprotected DVD and BluRay disks
- queue multiple encodes
- video encoding for H.264(x264), MPEG-4, MPEG-2 (libav) and Theora(libtheora) audio encoding for MP3, Flac, AC3, Vorbis, AC, CoreAudio AAC/HE-AAC (OS X Only)
- audio pass-thru: MP3 tracks, AC-3, DTS, DTS-HD, AAC
- various video filters: Deinterlace, Decomb, Deblock, Detelecine, Grayscale, Cropping, Scaling.
- subtitle support (SRT, SSA, VobSub, Closed Captions CEA-608)
- chapter markers and title chapter selection
- live video preview