Avidemux is a open source cross-platform video editor for Microsoft® Windows®, Linux®, Mac OS X®, and BSD. It is written in C++, and you can use it for various tasks such as encoding (convert videos from one format to another), cutting (cut individual portions from a recording) or filtering (resize, deinterlacing, add subtitles, color correction, etc.)
. Avidemux offers built-in support for many popular codecs and files: AVI, MP4, ASF, DVD, MPEG, MKV. It is one of the best video editors whenever you need to automate video processing or editing process. The software is released under the GNU GPL license and has been released (binaries) in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
Trademark Note 1: Microsoft®, Windows®, and other product names are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States or other countries.
– support for non-linear video editing, visual effects, and transcoding
– support for muxing (multiplexing) and demuxing
– support for popular subtitle formats: SUB, SSA, ASS, SRT
– has powerful scripting capabilities
– multiple filtering options: auto-resize, gauss smoothing, deinterlacing, chroma shifts, add black borders, etc.
– comes with a GUI (graphical user interface) and command line interface
– various output formats supported: MKV, Flash, AVI, MPEG-1/2, OGM, MP4, etc.
– built-in video encoders for: MPEG-1, MPEG-2, FFHuffYUV, FFV1, H.263, H.263+, HuffYUV, MJPEG, MPEG-4, Snow, x264, x264, Xvid, Y800
– built-in audio encoders for MPEG-1 Layer 3 (MP3), Vorbis, AAC, MPEG-1 layer 2 (MP2), AC-3, MPEG-1 layer 2 (MP2), Microsoft RIFF WAV PCM, LPCM
Avidemux is a simple, relatively easy to use video editor that stands out from the crowd of other editing apps. Unlike the competing software out there, Avidemux supports most major file types including .avi, .mpeg, and .mp4. This program handles both simple processes like cutting and editing video files, and it also has a selection of filters.